On January 27, 2012 I went over to our barn to feed our baby goats. Nothing abnormal about that. I do that everyday. But that day, I decided to give them some hay. I threw a small bit of hay in their stall and went about my normal routine.
At this time, the baby goats are about two weeks old and are as active as two jumping beans. We have two heat lamps keeping them warm because the temperatures have been like roller coasters. Warm one day, cold the next. About an hour later, I hear a frantic knock on my front door. It is my next door neighbor from down the street telling me my barn is on fire. I look over to the barn and smoke it pouring out of the front door. I call 911 and I don't think I have ever ran so fast to the barn as I have done them. I am certain the babies are dead. With that amount of smoke, there is no way any animal could survive.
We test the doors of the barn first, they are not hot, so we open the doors and go in. The fire is at the back of the barn, in the babies pen. Again, I have a very sick feeling. We go to the pen. Somehow, the babies are alive, the fire has burned a U-shape around the babies. Do you want to talk about Miracles!! So we let them out and start searching for a bucket or something to throw water on the fire. By that time, the Fire Department has shown up.
So many miraclels that day - the fire burned within inches of my hay bin loaded to the ceiling with a new load of hay!! Miracle of a neighbor who HAPPEN to be driving by, saw the smoke and came and got me. Miracle of the babies not being hurt or singed!! Miracle of the fire just being contained to the baby pen. I could have lost my whole barn!! Do you think God was sending me a message!! Did I start that fire by carelessly throwing the hay in the baby pen? Or by throwing the hay in the pen, did that give the babies a little extra height to knock over the heat lamp?? I don't know. But I do know, that God was watching over us that day! The babies are safely housed in our garage.
I did find out from one of the fireman. The leading cause of barn fires is heat lamps. So, if you have a barn and baby animals and you use a heat lamp, PLEASE use caution so this does not happen to you!!