Last night I donned my makeshift bee gear. And makeshft it is!! An old white sweatshirt, a pair of blue jeans, blue rubber boots, my bee hat and vail and a pair of blue leather gloves. Then my husband uses duct tape to seal everything. I am a sight to see (to say the least!!). The bees must think "what on earth is that human up to now??" No wonder I have been stung, they probably think I am an alien or something.
I digress again!! Back to the honey . . . I opened one of the hives. Yippee!! We have honey - yes sir!! The hive currently has two honey supers. These are the very small boxes on the hives. One box was loaded with frames filled with honey and the other box the bees hadn't started working on yet. So with my trusty bee smoker in hand, I puffed smoke into the hive which sends the bees deep into the bowels of the hive and I very carefully removed the two honey supers. The one loaded with honey was very heavy. I took out 9 frames of capped honey.
I put the honey super that the bees hadn't started working on back on the hive first followed by the super that contained the honey (it is now missing several frames). Currently, these frames are wrapped in plastic and sitting in my freezer waiting until I get enough money to buy an extractor (probably in the next couple of weeks).
So it looks like we will be having honey, honey, honey!!